Prof. Joseph Kuzilwa
JOSEPH ANDREW KUZILWA
1. Personal Information:
Full Name: Joseph Andrew Kuzilwa
Date of Birth: 1952
Marital Status: Married, with three children
2. Academic /Professional/Qualifications:
- B.A. (Economics), University of Dar es Salaam, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, 1975.
- M.A. Economics (International Trade), University of Lancaster, Lancaster, Britain, 1978
- Ph.D. Economics (International Monetary Economics and Development Economics), University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, USA, 1992
3. Summary of Career Experience
Professor Joseph Kuzilwa has been with Mzumbe University, formerly Institute of Development Management, since 1975. Initially employed as tutorial assistant, in 1975, he climbed up the ladder to becoming a full professor in Economics in July 2002. Apart from teaching and research, Prof Kuzilwa also served as Director of Studies for the then Institute of Development Management for six years (1993-1999) and Deputy Vice Chancellor of Mzumbe University from 2002 to date. He is currently also the Tanzania Country Coordinator of the African Clothing and Footwear Research Network, the position he has held since 2001. Prof. Kuzilwa is also a fellow of the Tanzania Academy of Sciences, where he is also serving as its first Treasurer.
4. Research Interest
Prof. Kuzilwa’s main research interests are in industrialization, with special focus on agro-based industrialization, value chain analysis, entrepreneurship and business development (small and medium enterprises, including issues of micro-finance) and in exchange rate.
5. Completed Research Works
a) Kuzilwa, J.A., Market Liberalization and the Agro-Industrial Potential in Tanzania 1995-96-Funded by European Development Fund (Published into a book by Research, Information and
Publication Centre, IDM, Mzumbe), 1997. ISBN 9987-617-04-2
b) Kuzilwa, J.A. and M.S. Kuzilwa, Banana Trade in Rungwe District, Tanzania and its Impact On Gender (together with Kuzilwa, M.S.) 1997 Funded by NORAD through Project TAN 058 support to WORECOT (produced research report and one published paper in Tanzania Management Journal)
c) Kuzilwa, J.A.; and M.S. Kuzilwa,; A Value Chain Analysis of the Dairy Industry: Opportunities and Constraints to Participation by Small and Medium Enterprises: The Case of Southern
Highlands in Tanzania (supported by NORAD under Agder University / Mzumbe University Research collaboration – Entrepreneurship Cluster)
d) (a) Kuzilwa, J.A. and P.H. Ngowi,; The Effects of Direct Foreign Investment in Agriculture and Agro-Industrial Sectors on the Poverty Reduction in an Economy Undergoing Liberalization
and Structural Reform: The Case of Tanzania Entrepreneurship and Small and Medium Enterprise Development
e) Kuzilwa, J.A. Credit as a Determinant of Successful Entrepreneurial Activities in Tanzania: The Case of SIDO’s National Entrepreneurship Development Fund, funded by NORAD through project TAN 058 support to IDM’s Entrepreneurship and Small Business Development Research Cluster. (Research Report Published by MU/ and Agder University College) ISBN Tanzania 9987-617-39-5; ISBN Norway 82-7117-460-6, 2003; (also paper based on the research published as a paper with Journal of Entrepreneurship, Sage: See publications)
f) Kuzilwa, J.A.; Needs Assessment Study on Policy and Institutional Reforms for Small and Medium Enterprise Promotion: The Case of Tanzania; Commissioned Research by
JICA/UNDP/TTECHNONET AFRICA, 2004
g) Kuzilwa, J.A.; Needs Assessment Study on Policy and Institutional Reforms o Trade and Investment in Tanzania, Commissioned Research by JICA/UNDP/TTECHNONET AFRICA, 2004
h) Kuzilwa, J.A. (2001) Baseline Study on the Footwear Industry in Tanzania : A two part study (with clothing done by A. Mbwambo) conducted as part of a four African countries study on Clothing and Footwear Research. Report presented at an International Conference on Textile and Leather in African Industrialization held in Mombasa Kenya; 6-7 July, 2002. Paper based on the research published in a book on Clothing and Footwear in Africa Industrialization eds. Rogerson, C. and D. McCormick – (see publications below)
i) Kuzilwa, J.A. and F. Kiria, (2003) Footwear Chain and Participation of Micro and Small Enterprises in Tanzania: Examination of their Coping Strategies, funded by NORAD through TAN
058 Project support to Entrepreneurship and Small Business Development Research Cluster.
j) Kuzilwa, J.A. and P.H. Ngowi,;(2005) Micro, Small and Medium Leather Footwear Enterprises in the Footwear Chain: Opportunities and Constraints for Growth and Survival: .
On going and about to start researches
k) (a) Kuzilwa, J.A. and P.H. Ngowi,; The Effects of Direct Foreign Investment in Agriculture and Agro-Industrial Sectors on the Poverty Reduction in an Economy Undergoing Liberalization and Structural Reform: The Case of Tanzania (independent funding)
l) Kuzilwa, J.A., Agzebier Tegegne and A. Mbwambo, Sources of Innovations in Small and Medium Footwear Enterprises: Comparative Study of Ethiopia and Tanzania; part of African Clothing and Footwear Research Project to be funded through DELPHE
4. Selected Publications/Seminar Papers Selected papers in journals / conference proceedings:
- Kuzilwa, J.A. (2005) "The Role of Credit for Small Business Success: A Study of the National Entrepreneurship Development Fund in Tanzania", Journal of Entrepreneurship: (Sage) Vol. 14:2:2005: 131-161
- Kuzilwa, J.A. "Devaluation, Relative Price of Non-tradables, and Output in Low-Income Economies". in Tanzania Management Journal, Vol.4, No.3, 1992: 486-510, Institute of Development Management.
- Kuzilwa, J.A. and E.K. Mushi (1997) “Credit Needs for Small Business” Tanzanian Banker’s Journal, Issue No. 9:13-16
- Kuzilwa, J.A., 1995, "Is Trade Liberalisation Strengthening or Threatening Agro-Industries and Industries in Tanzania", Tanzania Management Journal, Vol. 6 No. 2:76-93, Institute of Development Management
- Monji, R.G. and J.A. Kuzilwa, "The Need for a Closer Integration Between Agricultural Producers and Agro-Processing Industries Through Contract Farming in Tanzania", in
- Msambichaka, L.A. and A.C. Chandratheker eds. Papers in Economic Policy in Tanzania, Economic Research Bureau, University of Dar es Salaam, 1984:85-95.
- Kuzilwa, J.A., 1995, "The Effect of Exchange Rate Depreciation on the Demand for Tourism in Low-Income Economies", in Tanzania Management Journal, Vol. 6 No. 4:214-193
- Kuzilwa, J.A., (1997) Agro-Industrial Development in Tanzania: Need for a Systems Approach, Paper presented at the 1st Scientific Conference of Agricultural Economic Society of Tanzania,
- held at the Sokoine University of Agriculture, May 28th -30th, 1997, published in Mdoe, S.Y, A.I. Isinika and F.M. Turuka eds. Tanzania’s Agricultural Development Towards the Twenty First Century AGREST, Morogoro:121-136.
- Itika, J. and J.A. Kuzilwa (2000) “Liberalization of Agricultural Produce Marketing and Promotion of Smallholder Agricultural Entrepreneurs in Tanzania: Emerging Effects”, published in the Conference proceedings of the Fourth Scientific Conference of the Agricultural Economics Society of Tanzania (AGREST) held for August 30 – September1, 2000 at VETA Conference Hall, Iringa.
- Kuzilwa, J.A. (2002) "Improving Delivery of Livestock Services through Local Authority/Private Sector/Community Partnership: Lessons and Challenges from Mufindi District, Southern Highlands", published in the Conference proceedings of the Sixth Scientific Conference of the Agricultural Economic Society of Tanzania held in Tanga between 4-6 September 2002, published in Economics and Development Papers, Issue No:1, 2003:84-129
- Kuzilwa, J.A. (2000) “Factors Influencing Innovations in the Indigenous Medicine Sub-Sector in Tanzania: A Case of DAKIKA Enterprise”: printed in the proceedings of a Conference on Transfer of Technology and Indigenous Innovation Systems in Developing Countries:
- Mbwambo, A. and J.A. Kuzilwa, (2004) "Clothing and Footwear in Tanzania Industrialization: Issues and Options", chapter in ed. Rogerson, C. and D. McCormick Clothing and Footwear in African Industrialization, published by Africa Institute of South Africa: 389-425
- Kuzilwa, J.A., and L. Kishimbo, (2006) “Exchange Rate Depreciation and the Competitiveness of Manufacturing Firms: The Case of Footwear Firm” Paper presented at the Economics Department Discussion Series, accepted for publication in the Economics and Development Papers
- Kuzilwa, J.A. and P.H. Ngowi (2006) “Micro and Small Footwear Firms in Tanzania: Still a Force to be reckoned in the Domestic Economy” paper presented at an International Conference on Clothing and Footwear in African Industrialization, held at Glenburn Lodge, Muldersdrift, South Africa, May 24-25, 2006
- Kuzilwa, J.A., (1997) Market Liberalization and the Agro-Industrial Potential in Tanzania, Research and Publications, IDM – Funded by European Development Fund ISBN 9987 617 04
- J.A. Kuzilwa and W.D.S. Mmbaga, (2000) Intermediate Microeconomics: With Cases and Examples in the Tanzania Context, (funded under IDM/Agder University College collaboration), Research, Information and Publication) ISBN 9987 617 182
3. Some Major Consultancies
- (i) URT (2006) Study on Financial Sustainability in Higher Education in Tanzania
- (ii) UNDP (2001) Country Review Report
- (iii) UNDP (2005) Assessment of Capacity Building Needs for Aid Coordination and External Resource Management in Tanzania
- (iv) BEST(2006) Situation Analysis and Needs Assessment for Identifying Interventions on Changing the Culture of the Government
- (v) UNDP (2006) Assessment of Mainstreaming Environment in the Poverty Reduction Strategy in Tanzania
6. Membership to Professional Bodies
- Member, Agricultural Economics Society of Tanzania (AGREST)
- Member, Commonwealth Association of Public Administration and Management (CAPAM)
- Member, African Association of Public Administration and Management (AAPAM)
- Member, American Economic Association
- Founding member, Tanzania Academy of Sciences (TAAS), also current Treasurer of the Academy
7. Honours and Awards
- Fulbright Scholarship, to undertake doctoral study in the US (1987-89) University of Illinois at Chicago, Department of Economics Scholarship, 1989 - 92 Institute of Development Management, Mzumbe Publications and consultancy awards (1986, 1994, 1996, 1998, 2001)
- Mzumbe University Publication Awards (2002, 2003, 2004) - Voted best Faculty Member, Mzumbe University academic staff for the May Day award, 2001 Fellow, Tanzania Academy of Sciences, 2005