More on About TAAS
Aims and Objectives of TAAS »
The Academy aims to:
1. Promote high quality and effective teaching, readership, learning, research and application of science, technology and innovation for national socio-economic development and improvement of people’s living and working conditions.
2. Provide a forum for scientists, technologists, industrialists, law and policy makers and the general public to discuss issues pertaining to science and technology in relation to human and national development.
3. Collaborate with the government and relevant national and international bodies in developing appropriate policies to address issues of S T I,
4. Promote the publication, exchange and dissemination of scientific knowledge and research findings
Core Functions of TAAS
The key functions of the TAAS relate to three main areas:
Duties to the Scientific Community:
a) To recognize scientific achievements and encourage the pursuit of scientific excellence by providing awards and elections to membership,
b) To promote creation of new knowledge and innovation,
c) To support high-quality scientific research and its application by availing competitive research grants and promotion of research projects,
d) To promote dissemination and exchange of scientific knowledge through learned journals, meetings, conferences, workshops, seminars and lecturers.
e) To facilitate linkages with scientific communities abroad through exchange programmes, information and fellowships for training and research.
Duties to socio-economic sectors and the general public
a) To promote public awareness of the central role of Science and Technology in development through meetings, media releases, publications and public lectures.
b) To promote improved science education through reviews of the national science education policy, quality of science curriculum, teaching and learning resources and science teachers and teaching methods.
c) To interface and develop partnerships with local industries and other production and service sectors through regular consultations and joint research.
Duties to the Government
a) To provide independent and authoritative advice based on analyses of issues of national importance such as R &D policy and funding, exploitation of scientific research findings, innovations and new technologies.
b) To advise on international scientific issues including international science programmes and global environment.
c) To undertake other activities consistent with the Aims and Objectives of the Academy.
Priorities and Strategic Activities of TAAS
a) To train Fellows and Members of the Academy in the design and provision of independent and evidence based advice to government in scientific issues of national and global importance and concern,
b) To train staff in office management, data collection, processing and dissemination
c) To conduct regular meetings of members and scientists
d) To organize scientific meetings and conferences
e) To establish links and networks and participate in regional and international meetings,
f) To design and host the TAAS Website
g) To establish an effective communication system
h) To advertise TAAS activities, meetings and achievements
i) To push for the establishment of a Parliamentary Office for Science and Technology and MPs - Scientists Pairing Scheme
j) Promotion of Science contests and awards
k) To support and contribute towards reform initiatives in the country’s science education content, professional development of science teachers, provision of Teaching and learning resources and institution of appropriate students’ performance assessment systems.
l) To recognize achievement in S & T, and provide opportunities for students and teachers to enhance their learning and application of scientific skills,
m) Enhancement of S & T culture
n) To increase awareness among students, teachers, parents, politicians and the general public on the role of science in a world that is being shaped by S &T through Designing, producing and disseminating leaflets, posters, brochures, newsletters, videos, etc. and organizing science exhibitions and meetings.
o) Promotion of science camps and networks
- To provide students and teachers with minds - and hands-on experiences in learning science and acquiring technological skills through:
- Organizing camps for minds-on and hands-on inquiry based activities;
- Conduct excursions;
- Support science associations, e.g. Science Teachers Associations (STAURT), Math Association, etc. and establishment of science networks.
p) Sharing scientific information and new developments
- Publication of TAAS Newsletter, brochures, fliers, announcements and posters.
- Promotion of scientific writing and readership,
- Accessing, collecting and disseminating relevant publications from other academies in Africa and beyond